March 21, 2016 Advocacy Alert
House OAA Bill Moves to Floor Today
Call Your Representatives to Show Your Support!
As we shared on Friday, after six months of dogged negotiations between House majority and minority leaders on the House Education and Workforce Committee, an agreement has been reached on the House’s version of the Senate-passed S. 192 Older Americans Act (OAA) reauthorization bill.
With this bipartisan compromise finally in hand, the bill is moving quickly to the House floor to be considered “under suspension of the rules,” which is a method reserved for non-controversial legislation. If all goes as planned today, S. 192 (as amended) could be approved by day’s end!
n4a has endorsed the House version of S. 192 and is encouraging swift passage. Read our endorsement letter or read on for what you can do to help push passage of the bill TODAY!
To learn what’s in the bill:
- Our March 18 Advocacy Alert explains what the House added to the Senate-passed measure, including details on authorization levels and growth of those levels over the three-year reauthorization period.
- House Education and Workforce Committee’s Bill Summary.
- Bill Text.
- Contact all Representatives serving your PSA and let them know about the House OAA bill coming to the floor today!
- STEP 1: Call the DC office and ask for the staff member who handles Older Americans Act issues. You can reach them through the U.S. Capitol Switchboard at 202.224.3121.
- STEP 2: Tell them about the House bill, which is still numbered S. 192, expected to come up on the floor today or shortly thereafter.
- STEP 3: Ask them to vote in favor of the measure and consider making a supportive statement on the House floor about the value of OAA programs in their congressional district. (Hopefully, if they chose to do this, you become their expert in gathering information and anecdotes!)
- Ask other advocates to do the same! Urge your vendors/providers, advisory board members, volunteers and clients to make calls to their Representatives, as well. Please do all you can to amplify the message and engage others who understand the value of OAA in their community.